Sunday, February 26, 2006

Mid-Term time has arrived, and this week is gonna be nuts.

I made a game plan for the week, and it involves maximizing every spare second of my time, focusing each moment toward academic gain. We'll see how it goes (as soon as I finish this post--then it's time to work).

This has been one of those just plain "wonderful" days. I woke up early this morning, and listened to some cool tunes. Mostly Coldplay, with some Bon Jovi tossed in (more on that in a minute). We went to worship this morning, and the sermon was particularly good. I spoke with Frank Ward (the head of youth ministry for the denomination), and it was good to see him since we had not spoken in quite a while. I told him about my upcoming trip to Israel, and we talked about his upcoming trip to Japan this summer. We also talked about the Japan/China tour Michelle and I are going on in 2008. Strangely, we did not talk about CPYC, which is what we almost always talk about...LOL. He told me he would like to hear of my Israel trip when I get back, so I may line up a speaking gig here.

Clarksville church did not seem interested, but Mt. Liberty in Charlotte has asked me to speak. The date there is TBA.

Again, I cannot say how much I am relieved that we will get to go on the trip. This is a big part of my spiritual journey, and I am greatly anticipating it. Many of my classmates have expressed their life-long dreams of going to the Holy Land, so I know they are looking forward to it as much as I am.

It occurred to me one day last week that once I have been to the Holy Land, America may well never be quite the same for me. Heraclitus, one of the pre-Socratic philosophers, is famous for saying "You can never step into the same river twice." Ponder on that for a moment, and you will see how easily the saying, "You can never go home again" germinates from that. It occurred to me that I may never see America the same way again. Which is how Bon Jovi comes into the equation. Their new song, "Who says you can never go home?", is currently receiving a lot of airplay on the Memphis rock radio stations. It is a song that I developed a fondness for, so much so that I bought the album on iTunes this morning. Great song, but indeed you really ever can't step into the same river twice, because it is always changing. America will certainly have changed for me.

I am going to create another blog just for the Israel trip, and when I get it up, I will post the URL. While I am away, I will post there as often as I can, hopefully at least once per day. As part of the class, we are required to keep a journal, and submit it when we get back. My posting will make up the bulk of the journal. I will certainly have to clean it up a bit to get into academic form, but the text will essentially be the same. My grandmother has told me several times that I will be her eyes, so I am going to do my very best to try to communicate what I experience.

Also, I will send out another email with my hotel info and itinerary if you would like to follow along each day. I should be receiving my cell phone number in a few days, so if you would like to call me you will be able. It will be much cheaper for me to receive calls than to make outgoing calls, so if you would like to talk to me, that is probably the best way to go. Michelle found a great rate on a particular kind of calling card, and I will relay that info here before I leave.

I cannot say enough how much I appreciate all the support I have received from my friends and family. It means a lot to me to know that people care about what I do. Moreso than me, please pray for Michelle as she struggles to be alone for the first time since we've been married. As for me, I welcome the break...LOL!! She will get me for saying that!!

I hope everyone is doing well. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius