Wednesday, February 22, 2006

First off, I would like to say "Thanks" to all the people who have called, emailed, and texted me about the (immanent) loss of my Israel trip. Your support means so much.

I will try to explain things as best I can. The trip's faculty sponsor, Dr. David Patterson, received a phone call yesterday morning from the International Programs office of the University. The phone call was to inform him that the President and the Provost had decided that on "moral grounds" they could not allow us to go on the trip. This came as a complete shock to everyone, since the trip had been approved in June 2005, and all i's and t's had been dotted and crossed. As far as anyone knew, the trip was a "go".

Our regularly scheduled class meeting last night became a meeting with lawyers from the President's and Provost's offices. Obviously, we had a lot of questions that needed answers. Surprisingly, many of our questions were indeed answered. Although, obviously, not in the way we would have preferred.

The first question, of course, was "Why?". As it was explained to us, this is what happened. Over the weekend, someone in the International Programs office read an article online that had been produced by the BBC, which said that tension levels, and perhaps violence, would escalate in the West Bank during the time we would be in Israel. So, the plug was pulled on the whole thing. We were quite disturbed that the trip could be cancelled based on one report, and especially a report from the notoriously pro-Palestine BBC. We explained that, given the large Jewish community in Memphis, there are plenty of experts that have qualified opinions on the matter, and that they have unanimously given us the green light. In fact, Dr. Patterson's wife travels to Israel several times a year to assess the situation on the ground, and has just returned from her latest trip. She, too, gives it a green light.

Through all the smoke that lawyers blow, I discerned that basically, the university feels that if someone on this trip were to get hurt due to a terrorist attack, the University would look bad in the eyes of the community. So, that is the reason the trip was cancelled. They weighed their thesis against the fact that the Memphis Jewish community is in uproar, and that the university has already taken a P.R. hit in their eyes. Also, the Daily Helmsman (the campus newspaper) had a reporter and photographer at the meeting, and will be giving us favorable press.

The result of the meeting is that a sub-committee was formed (you might think that a Presbyterian minister was involved...LOL), with the idea that it would represent the group in a meeting with the President and Provost. The meeting was to be arranged this morning, with the hope that it would happen this afternoon. As of now, I have not heard of any developments, so I believe that the meeting probably did not happen today. The sub-committee is going to present our case, in the hopes that the trip will be reinstated.

Basically, there are a few possible scenarios in play. Most likely is that the trip will remain cancelled. We have been promised full refunds, and course credit (upon completion of a research paper).

The is a possibility that we would sign release forms, absolving the university of any liability in the event of someone getting hurt. This idea has already been presented, and rejected, so it seems unlikely. Anyway, with all the paperwork that were required to submit, I seem to remember already signing something to this effect. If that was not good enough, I do not know why a new release of liability agreement would be any better.

Another possible scenario is that the trip could happen independently of the University. A lot of things would have to happen for this to play, but it does not seem out of the realm of possibility. If the trip were to happen independently of the University, all the discounts and subsidies that we received because of the University's involvement would be lost, and those monies would have to be replaced. We estimated this cost to be about $500-$700 per person. For most folks, that would probably not be possible. However, Dr. Patterson has contacts within the Memphis Jewish community that he feels could possibly be of financial assistance. However, the way I see it, if we were to go this route, it seems that Dr. Patterson would be grossly insubordinate, so therefore I do not expect him to risk his job and career. So, in reality, it seems this scenario is quite unlikely.

So, we are all in limbo at this time. I have been quite distraught the past 18 hours or so, with my melancholy being compounded upon receiving news this morning that my great-aunt Mabel may be on the verge of death, and that my cousin Cara was diagnosed with leukemia yesterday. These events certainly make the loss of a trip seem not-quite-so-important. Add to all this that, due to my sadness, Michelle is also saddened. This disturbs me maybe more than anything. I told her tonight that we need to be strong, not to let one of us bring the other down. We had a nice talk, and I think we both felt better afterward.

Since our internet at home is not working well, I went driving in search of a free network. The only one I could find is at Buffalo Wild Wings, which is more of a sports bar than anything else. I did not even see coffee on the menu. So, I ordered a chesseburger and a Coke. Somehow, after eating, I am still hungry. Wings at 1:00 AM would not be a good idea, so I think I will wait until I get home to have another snack.

I should know more tomorrow about the status of the trip. In lieu of the trip, Michelle and I have been tossing around ideas on where we could go. I think we have decided on a trip to Huntsville, Alabama, to see the U.S. Space and Rocket Center. I went there as a kid, and it is one of my fondest memories. Michelle has never been, so she is excited about seeing something new. We also will probably go to the Unclaimed Baggage Center in Scottsboro, Alabama. In case you may not know, unclaimed baggage from the airlines goes here to be sold. The store is huge--in fact, it is larger than a city block. As Michelle put it, this is a glorified yard sale. LOL. Neither of us have ever been, so it will kind of neat. Who knows, I might find a discounted iPod. I have been saving up for one, and am just about ready to make a move in that direction.

We have not made any definitive plans, though, so everything is up in the air.

I hope everyone is doing well. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius