Wednesday, March 28, 2007

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes into hours?"--From Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Michelle and I were riding in the Explorer today when Lightfoot's song "Sundown" came on the radio. I started thinking about his anthem "Fitzgerald", which tells a narrative of the shipwreck. I especially started thinking about the above line, which questions God's existence. One topic many non-believers often raise is the problem of evil, with evil being defined as "innocent suffering". These people often ask why, if God exists, would God allow innocent people to suffer. I have read mnay philosophers and theologians give various explanations for this, and so far, I have not come across one that I can believe. So, I am working on one myself. When I finish it, I will let you know.

Peace,

Chris

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius