Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Steve and I often talk about old video games, and old computer systems. Last week, we started talking about Zork, and ancient game that we had on the old Commodore 64 when we were kids. I Googled Zork I, and in no time I found a download. So, I installed it and have been playing it furiously for the past week or so. Earlier today, I finished the game. It was really exciting. I was glad that Steve was there (we were hanging out at Grinders) to share the moment.

Steve told a story that somehow I had never heard. When Zork I was released, the computer store my parents frequented sponsored a contest where the first person to finish the game with the maximum number of points received a free copy of Zork II. I never knew that my parents won this contest. All I remember is that they were indeed totally consumed with the game for probably about a year. I remember maps and maps and more maps, strewn all about the house. Zork dominated all conversation in the house and late-night gaming sessions were de rigueur. Steve said that after they finished the game, they went to the computer shop to show that they had finished. As they were leaving, another guy came in to show that he had finished it, too. He was just a few minutes too late. Steve and I had a great laugh.

I never finished Zork II, and never played Zork III. I am going to download II tonight and start on it soon.

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius