Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Yesterday, I worked a doubleheader at Columbia State. I had the plate the first game, and in the second inning, I got hit square in the face with a 92-mph fastball. The catcher called a curveball, but the pitcher got it wrong, and the catcher did not have time to react, so it me right between the eyes. I was basically knocked out, although I never went down. I was dizzy for a long time after that, and have not been quite right since. The rest of the day yesterday is kind of a blur. I forgot the count once, and let a guy stay at the plate with 4 balls. On the fifth ball, he decided to mosey on down to first. This morning, I woke up in a cold sweat thinking I needed a sub for a middle school game tonight at Rossview. The only problems with that were 1) There is no game at Rossview tonight and, 2) I originally had a game tonight, but I lined up a sub almost two weeks ago. Jeez. A while later, I realized I am double-booked for tomorrow. Which is not much of a problem because it is supposed to rain like crazy, so I don't think anyone is going to play anyhow. Just in case, I am lining up a sub for one of the assignments.

I took Michelle to the doctor in Murfreesboro early this morning. She made an appointment to get her tonsils taken out. They have been bothering her for the past several days, and at one point were bleeding. So, they must go. Every time we get one medical bill paid off, it seems something else comes up. Jeez, will it ever end? I dunno. I just want her to fell well.

On the way back, we were talking about the upcoming weekend. I did not have any games scheduled, so she proposed that we go to Tullahoma and spend the weekend with her parents. That way, she could work on invitations while I do some stuff with her car. As soon as the words "it might be nice to have a weekend off" left my lips, I suddenly got the urge to call the guy who assigns my high school games to see if he had anything available. Later, when Michelle was getting something from her room and I was waiting in the car, he called back. When she got to the car, I had the calendar out and was going full speed. When it was all over, I picked up a doubleheader in Macon County on Friday, a single game at Pope John Paul II Saturday morning, and a doubleheader at Portland Saturday afternoon. 4 games added to the docket, just like that. Michelle accused me of doing anything I could to avoid having to spend the weekend with her mother. I am not sure if I ever denied that accusation...LOL. I just told her that I was working hard for the family, trying to make a few bucks. The I got her to take me to lunch for Mexican food. LOL. Anything I can do for a free meal.

Tomorrow, I have a game at Portland, so it will be a little weird to go there twice in a few days. I am back at Columbia St. next Monday, so that will be weird too. Normally, an umpire does not like to see the same school too often, but sometimes that is just how it works out.

Tonight, we have church, so we are excited. Tonight is the last night of the Wednesday night program for this semester. We will continue meeting on our own on Wednesdays after tonight.

I hop everyone has a great day. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius