Monday, April 04, 2005

My weekend series at Kentucky Wesleyan was certainly eventful. We got up there Friday night in the midst of a torrential downpour, so I doubted if they would play the next day. We delayed the first game two hours, and by that time the field was OK. I was on the bases the first game Saturday, and it was uneventful. I was behind the plate for the second game, and during the 8th inning, I had to eject the coach for the visiting team. A batter for the home team had gotten hit by the pitch, and the coach thought the guy had leaned into the pitch. He got belligerent with me, and when he screamed "chicken-shit!!), he had to go. Oh well.

It got even more exciting Sunday. The coach who got ejected sat out the first game as a suspension. I was on the plate that game, and it went fine. However, in the second game, I really screwed up bad. Jeez. There was a runner on second, so I was in "C" position, behind the mound and to the third base side. The batter hit a long fly ball to dead centerfield, so I moved closer to third to get into position for a possible play there. After that, I can honestly say that I do not know what happened. I must have fallen asleep or passed out. I dunno. The next thing I knew, the runner who started on second was still there, and the batter was standing on first. The first base coach asked if the centerfielder had caught the ball, or if he had dropped it. I said, "Yeah", not knowing what he had done. So, the batter stayed on first. That sent the defense (visiting team) into a frenzy. The second baseman went nuts, and told me that his "coach would straighten me out". I told him that if he opened his mouth again, I would straighten HIM out. Anyway, the coach (same guy that I ejected the night before) comes flying towards me in a furious rage. I listened to his argument, still not knowing what had happened, or how I was going to fix the situation. After he lost his steam, I asked him if he wanted me to ask my partner for help. He said yes. So, I went to my partner, and he had no clue either. It wasn't his responsibility, his responsibility was to make sure the runner on second did not leave too early, so he wasn't looking for the catch. I told him that I had a gut feeling that the guy must have caught the ball, then dropped it when he was trying to throw it back in. Otherwise, the runner on second would have run to third without tagging up. He said, "whadda ya wanna do?". I told him that if we changed the call, it would look like he had changed it, and that the offensive team's coach would come after him, and that I did not want to do that to him. He said it was OK, he could handle it. I still wasn't sure that I wanted to do that to him, but I knew we had to get the call right. Even if I didn't know hat the right call actually was. Going on my gut feeling, I changed the call. As expected, the other coach went after my partner. He didn't stay on him for too long, thankfully. I still do not know what I was doing on that play. Maybe I looked away too quickly--I dunno. Anyway, things settled down, and the rest of the game went without incident. Only later did I find out that Michelle, who was in the stands, got into a bit of a confrontation with some of the fans. They were giving me a hard time, and rightfully so. But she doesn't stand for that, so she let them know they needed to put a lid on it. LOL. She ended up stomping out of the ballpark. Jeez. I gotta teach her that razzing the ump is part of the game. LOL. I appreciate her sticking up for me, though. LOL.

Wow. So, the weekend was certainly not un-eventful. In all of my years of umpiring, I do not think I have ever screwed up something as bad as that. I was embarrassed. I was just glad that I was able to get refocused, to increase my intensity, and to get through the rest of the game without messing anything else up.

I got home last night to find several voice mails and emails, all concerning baseball. I spent probably two hours on the phone, getting stuff worked out. I picked up two high school games this week, and another college conference doubleheader on Saturday. As it turns out, I will be at Kentucky Wesleyan again. They may get tired of seeing me. LOL. Anyway, one of the high school games I picked up was tonight in Springfield. I must say that after yesterday's debacle, I worked one of the best games I have ever worked in my life. My intensity has never been higher. I knew going into it that I was better than what I showed Sunday, and I was going to prove it to myself. If I can't do better than what I did Sunday, I should quit. That was ridiculous. I am glad that I am past it--my next game is tomorrow.

Today, I finished reading my book about the Pharisees' guide to holiness. It was a great reminder of how we often put up barriers to the grace of Christ. We just need to keep it simple. Remember that Christ died for our sins, and that as long as we believe that, we will be fine. I remembered an old joke about the goings-on at the Pearly Gates. Imagine St. Peter there at his desk, with Heaven's roll book in front of him. Paul comes into the office complaining that there are too many people inside, and looks at the roll book. Indeed, he concludes, there are way too many people inside than in the book. He tells Peter to investigate what is going on, and to file his report by Friday. So, Friday comes and Paul is demanding answers. Peter says, "It's that guy Jesus again, letting people in through the back gate!". LOL. When I first heard this, I pictured Jesus hiding in the bushes by the back fence, whispering, "Psst. Hey, you. I can help you. Salvation lies within here. Jump onboard. Come on in." LOL.

The auction for my laptop ended without meeting the minimum price, so I have decided to sell it to the woman that Michelle nannies for. She has agreed to give me the minimum I was asking for, so that is good. I am going to reload the OS and the other software back onto it. I hope she enjoys it. I will be getting a new one after the wedding, so I am going to start shopping. Actually, I already have. LOL.

Saturday, during my games, Pope John Paul II passed away. There is not much I can say that has not already been said, so let me say this: I think the fact that Terry Schiavo and the Pope passed away within a few days of each other was no coincidence. I think there is a message here. The message is that we as Americans no longer appreciate life as much as we may have. A lot of people talk about dying with dignity, but there is no dignity in starving to death. I am not in a position to judge, but I will say that it is my opinion that some people with have to answer for their actions in this situation. "What you have done to the least of me, you have done to me" is maybe the most important verse in the New Testament. It is the entire ministry of Christ in one sentence. Terry Schiavo was among the least of us, as she could not defend herself against her muderous, adulterer husband. The whole thing was despicable, and makes me want to puke. That is all I will say about it.



I join all those mourning the loss of the Pope, and I pray that the next Pope will continue this Pope's mission of mercy, peace, and reconciliation.


I hope everyone has a great night. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius