Friday, November 05, 2004

This has been a really crazy week, and I am now glad it's over. Whew. Very busy. Insane. Out-of-control.

I have been instructed to be at Michelle's dorm, nicely dressed, tonight at 6 PM. The rest is still a surprise. Since I don't like surprises, I am a little uptight about the whole thing. However, I trust her, so I am trying to keep cool. I know everything will be fine. I hope.

It has finally cooled off a little, and the weather is great. I love the crispness in the air. Long sleeves are once again de rigueur for me. YAY!

I picked up a couple of football games tomorrow, and a couple next Saturday. I am fairly certain that will wrap up the season.

I have decided to continue umpiring college baseball next spring. I know the time commitment will run me ragged, and readers of this blog can expect me to rant about my exhaustion and misery. However, I love the game too much to give it up, and college ball in particular is so much better than high school ball that it would be really tough to give it up. Being single and without kids affords me opportunities to do things that guys with families may have to miss, and I want to take advantage of the opportunity while I have it.

I have also decided to not work Saturday football next year. I am not allowed to wear my sunglasses on the field, and my eyes are too important to me. An old, out-dated custom was for sports officials to not wear glasses of any kind, be them prescription or not. This was to avoid the "four-eyes" ridicule that was sure to follow. However, I would like to believe that we live in a somewhat more enlightened time, and that ridiculous customs such as this can be cast aside. I liken it to the old idea that people should not drink water during competition, lest they get sick. Yeah, like heat exhaustion is a better idea. Blindness is not a good idea for me. Jeez.

Anyway, sunglasses are not allowed in Saturday football (perfectly OK in baseball), so I will not participate. It is not an issue in JV or varsity games, as those are played at night. So, I will continue to work those games. Besides, my officiating jones can be satiated with fall baseball.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius