Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Crime in the City (Who Still Likes Country-Rock after 35 Years?, pt. 1)

The University of Memphis family is mourning the loss of one of its own. Taylor Bradford, 21, as shot and killed outside of a campus dormitory Sunday night. Memphis is full of violent crime, in fact, one report last week said it leads the nation. However, it seems that a college campus should be a safe place, but those at the U of M know it is not. A couple of years ago, someone was regularly robbing people at gunpoint near campus, and the police report section of the campus paper is always full.

Sunday night, a couple of hours before Bradford was killed, I was speaking to my youth group about violence. In particular, we were talking about the tragedy of Columbine High School. I said something to the effect that when a life ends before it has reached its potential, there seems to be an increased level of sadness. Little did I know what would happen later that night, just a few miles away.

I find it hard to believe that mid-terms are here. I got my assignments today, and although I will be busy this week, I think I can manage. In my Christian Ministry class, we have a list of 10 questions, and we can pick any 9 to write essays on. 2-2.5 pages each, so that will be manageable. In ethics class, we have an exam next week. The professor gave us a list of about 50 things to be responsible for, and about half of them I am OK with right now. So, I will work on the other half, then brush up on the better half. I should be OK.

Who still likes country-rock after 35 years? I do, that's for sure. I bought John Fogerty's new album yesterday, and am quite thrilled with it. It is his best work since "Centerfield". The funny thing is, he has made amends with his old record label, Fantasy, and it was released on one of Fantasy's subsideries. If you are unfamiliar with the story of him and Fantasy Records, just Google it.

I am also anxiously awaiting the Eagles' new album. 2 discs, 20 songs. I guess since they have not released a full studio album since "The Long Run" in 1979, they felt like they had some catching up to do...LOL. The first single, "How Long", is a cover of an old J.D. Souther (an Eagles frequent flyer) tune.

Knowing that mid-term work would start tonight after dinner, today during lunch I hung out at a couple of guitar shops for a while. It was a lot of fun. I have learned how to play Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water", so I plugged in a St. Blues electric, turned it up to 1.5, and let it rip. That was cool. It's nice having two guitar shops within 5 minutes of campus. Dangerous, too...LOL.

I was listening last week to an old Neil Young song called, "Crime in the City (Sixty to Zero part 1), from his album "Freedom". Great social commentary.

Alex is growing up so much every day. He is eating squash now! He also seems to like it. He also has been eating rice cereal for awhile, and is doing fine with that. Michelle went back to work Monday of this week, so he is in daycare two days a week while I am in class. He seems to be doing well there, so we are excited about that. It also seems that he may be ready to cut a tooth. I will keep you posted on that.

I hope everyone is doing well. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius