Friday, April 13, 2007

I was at work on Wednesday, and a strange thing happened. One of the teachers from the Wesley School (a school for special-needs kids that uses the church's facilities) popped into my office, and said, "Excuse me, but don't you have a divinity degree?" I replied that I was currently in seminary, working on a M.Div. She then asked me if it was OK if she asked me a question (ostensibly a theological one). So, I said, "sure", sort of curious as to what she would think I would be qualified to help her with. Then, she asked, "Could you explain gnosticism to me?" Thankfully, it was mid-morning, and I was well-caffeinated by then. This was not anything near what I would have expected. Still, I perked up, because it just so happens that I had written an essay on the topic a couple of weeks ago. Per my norm, I prefaced my answer with a story, then told her what I knew. Then, I picked out the 4 books on the subject that I own, and offered to allow her to "check them out" (I treat my books as sort of a 'lender's library'). She stammerd a, "No thanks", as if to say she had gotten more than what she had bargained for. I just had to laugh. Still, I found my class notes on the subject, and Xeroxed them. She said that would suffice. LOL.

Yesterday, after lunch, I stopped by the guitar shop to pick up a new stand and some strings. I observed that they had an Eric Clapton signature model on the wall, so it got my attention. Clapton has 3 Martin signature models, and this one is the model that he played on the "Unplugged" album. That model had been out of production since about the mid-50s, and Martin did not know he was going to play it that night. So, he played it, the album became HUGE, and Martin offred to re-issue the guitar as an EC signature model. Cool. This led to he and Martin collaborating on two other signature modles, so EC is the only artist with 3 Martin signature models. Cool stuff. Anyway, when I saw that the guitar's price tag said, "Ask for assistance", I could not resist myself and said, "Can someone float me about 2/3 the price of this? That would be of great assistance!"

I was supposed to have a baseball game this afternoon, but it got rained out. Which was kinda good, since I have not felt well all day. So, Michelle and I have just been hanging out at home this afternoon. If I felt better, it would be nice. Oh well.

I hope everyone is doing well. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius