Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Sister Helen Prejean, author of the book "Dead Man Walking", is speaking here in Memphis later tonight, and Michelle and I are going. The movie based on her book has had a profound effect on my life, causing me to take a serious look at the way I view capital punishment. In fact, seeing that movie may have been the genesis of me becoming a philosopher. Although, it certainly was a delayed reaction!!

I also have a big test tomorrow in Philosophy 2, so I am nervous about that. As fate would have it, we have been talking about capital punishment, looking at it from the points of view of several different philosophers, including Kant, Mill, Confucius, and some other commentators.

I finally got my Judaic Studies paper back yesterday. It has been so long since we submitted these papers, that I cannot even remember when it was. Anyway, I got an A, so that was a big relief. Turns out the month of October has a ton of Jewish holidays, so the professor was not in class much the past few weeks.

There was a guest speaker, Elliot Chodoff, on campus last night, talking about the situation between Isreal and Palestine. It was quite interesting. Apparently, the pro-Palestine faction that was there had a counter-point meeting of their own later last night, but I did not go. Probably a good thing.

I have noticed that my comments have dropped to almost nil lately. It would be nice if people would start commenting again.

I hope everyone is doing well. Peace...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Yeah, no one leaves comments for me either anymore. I guess that happens when you get busy and forget to post for awhile.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius