Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Today is the last day of classes for the semester, so that is great. Tomorrow is a study day, and finals start on Thursday. I have the easiest exam schedule in history, so I am really relaxed. Normally, I am completely freaked out at this time of year. LOL.

I went to the Gibson guitar shop at Opry Mills yesterday, and got treated like a horse's ass. I doubt if I will ever go back there again. I told the guy I had just bought my first guitar last week, and he asked me what kind it was. I told him it was an off brand that he probably had never heard of. He said he had heard of them all. So, I told him it was a Franciscan CS-19. He scoffed and said, "I have never heard of that brand".

I told him that my research had revealed an almost infinite number of string combinations, and I asked what he would suggest for me. He launched into a discussion of the 141 guitars he has at home, and he finally suggested a brand of strings, saying, "This is the ONLY brand I play. When you change strings as often as I do, you have to have the best. I observed that they cost $35 per set, and told him that I only have one guitar, and that it cost $65, so I didn't think I should spend $35 on strings. He never could really provide a suggestion as to what combination of strings I might like to play, so I just gave up. Jeez.

Today, I went to Mary's Music on Riverside Drive, and spoke with a couple of the guys there. I told them about what happened yesterday, and they quickly suggested a set of $10 Martin ultra light strings. They said that since my hand strength isn't real good right now, light strings are the way to go. I really appreciated their help. I think I will be doing business there from now on. I also picked up an electric tuner, and some picks. There is also an almost infinite number of styles of picks, so I got some suggestions as to what I might like top play. I ended up buying several different kinds, so I can fool around with all of them.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Shalom...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You got a great deal and they are nice playing guitars.

Peace!

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius