Sunday, October 01, 2006

A Saturday on the Grove

Yesterday morning, I refereed two youth league football games, then headed home. On the way home, Michelle called me to ask what I thought of the possibility of a short road trip to Mississippi that afternoon. I immediately got real excited, because I knew that Georgia was playing Ole Miss last night. Alas, she was thinking more along the lines of visiting a corn maze she had read about. Oh well. I knew that she does not like big crowds, so I said sure the corn maze would be great, especially since we would be back in time for me to watch most of the game on TV. However, by the time I got home, she had purchased tickets to the game, and made plans for us to roll to Oxford. WOW!! We tried to get her decked out in some Georgia gear, but none of the stores here had anything. The stores here all cater to Memphis, UT, Arkansas, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Oh well--she just wore a red t-shirt.

We got there about 4 hours before game time, so we tailgated on the grove (the area around the campus is known by this name) and had fun. We found a pocket of Georgia fans and hung out in that area until game time.

We had a great time at the game. The score was really close, and Georgia pulled out a win at the very end. Beautiful! Although we were sitting amongst a bunch of Ole Miss fans, they were very nice to us and we both enjoyed ourselves. At half-time, we went out to the concourse to get some fresh air, because by that time, and we actually hung out there during the entire third quarter. We enjoyed people-watching while there. We came back in for the fourth quarter, and enjoyed the rest of the game.

The ride home seemed a lot longer than the ride down there, but we eventually got home about 2 AM. We are now trying to recover, and I am wondering if I am going to feel like painting the living room, which is what we had planned on doing today.

What's probably the funniest thing about the whole deal is that I had invited my dad and brother to Memphis to watch the U of M play UT. However, I never got a firm confirmation that they were coming, so I never got the tickets, and the game sold out. So, no one came and I was not resigned to watching a game on TV.

My classes are going well. We had our first exam in Astronomy class last Tuesday. This class is made up of almost all freshman, and it seems this is the most ignorant group of people I have ever been around. There are well over 100 people in the class, and most of them are just stupid. Asking ridiculous questions, and constantly wanting to know about extra-credit and the grade curve. Jeez. The test scores revealed what I am dealing with here--the class average was 54, and the lowest score was a 26. I made an 86, and didn't study nearly as much as I could have. Whatever.

I have an exam in my Ancient Philosophy class on Tuesday. I am going to start studying for it tonight, and after my football game tomorrow night, really hit the books hard. I should be fine.

I also have a paper due in Religion class next week. Need to get started on that.

I hope everyone is doing well. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius