Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I promised a couple of people yesterday that I would update the blog, so I apologize for the delay.

So much has happened since I last posted, it's crazy. When I last posted, we had become very encouraged by Alex's feedings. He seemed to be taking the bottle very well, so we thought it would be a matter days before he could coem home. Alas, he backtracked quite a bit. He stopped taking the bottle at all, so the nurses had to reinsert his feeding tube and he got his nourishment like that for several days. He also developed a fever, so he back on an I.V. antibiotic. Needless to say, at that point, we had become very DIScouraged...LOL.

However, in the last couple of days, he has really started to take the bottle. In fact, he is taking full bottles several times a day now. And, he has gained quite a bit of weight in just the last two days. He is at 5 lbs., 2.5 oz. So, this is once again very encouraging! I visited him alone a few nights ago, and asked the nurse to give me her opinion on how long it would be until he could come home. She told me to expect around the original due date, June 28. Which sort of makes sense, since that was the due date. So, we are anxiously awaiting his arrival.

This past Saturday, Memphis played Austin Peay in baseball at Vanderbilt, as part of the first round of the national tournament. At the last minute that morning, I talked Michelle into making the road trip. We got started late, but we hit the road. When we got to Dickson, we were greeted by the mother of all thunderstorms. I remember Michelle commenting that she had no desire to sit in the rain watching a baseball game. I sort of laughed it off, saying that I thought the storm would pass south of Nashville. I hoped I sounded more confident than I really was.

We got to the game in the bottom of the third, only to find that all the tickets were sold out. With Vanderbilt being the #1 team in the nation for the bulk of the season, the local people were quite excited and had purchased most of the tickets. So, we found a scalper, who may have been the scariest looking dude either of us had ever met, and we negotiated a decent price for two ducats. About 5 minutes after we sat down, the aforementioned mother of all storms descended upon Hawkins field, the game was halted, and the crowd was quickly shuttled into the basketball gym. While there, we watched two Vandy basketball players shooting for about an hour. At that point, which was about 4:00, a Vandy official announed that the game would resume at 7:30 that night. Knowing that we could not be in Nashville all night, we proceeded to turn around and head home. We drove 3+ hours to Nashville, watched 5 minutes of baseball, an hour of basketball, ate at O'Charley's, then went home. That was absolutely insane. Oh well.

I downloaded the video podcast of the Steve Jobs-Bill Gates discussion that occured last week at the D5 conference. I listened to most of it today while driving around running errands. It was great to hear them tell some funny stories about the old days, and hearing them talk about the days ahead.

I am preaching Sunday at CrossRoads, so I have been working this week on a sermon. It is coming along pretty well. I hope it is coherent. The youth group is having a lock-in at the church on Friday night. That should be lots of fun.

I hope everyone is doing well. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius