Monday, August 13, 2007

I did not realize that so many people read this blog. Since I announced that I was considering terminating it, I have gotten numerous requests to keep it going. Probably the funniest request was by a person who, instead of contacting me directly, went through an intermediary. That's funny. Anyway, I will try to keep it going. Maybe my desire to write will return soon.

On Saturday, I attended the Alumni Association's Vision Forum. It was as fun as all-day meetings can get, I suppose. I learned a lot about what directions the Association is moving in, and I was asked to be on the Board of Directors of the College of Arts and Sciences chapter. Since I went to the Forum with the desire to find a way to help, I was glad to accept. My exact role is TBA.

Last Friday, I worked a scrimmage game between Memphis University School and White Station. MUS is probably the best private school team in the area, and White Station is probably the best city school team. So, it was fun to work. Plus, since a bunch of officials showed up, we rotated in and out, and I only had to work about half the game. And, it cooled off considerably, so it was not too bad.

Several weeks ago, I was shocked and saddened to learn that my friend and fellow official Andy Cooper had apparently killed his ex-wife. I was shaken up pretty bad for a couple of weeks, and I still do not know what to think. All of this violence that has come into my life is throwing me for a loop. I just do not know how to handle it. I sent and email to Andy's brother, letting him know that I was praying for everyone involved. He sent me a nice response, and I appreciated that.

I think my lack of posting was due in some part to the violence that has come into my life this summer. I have just been numb a lot, and did not feel like putting anything down on paper (well, that is how it was done in the old days, anyway.) Idunno.

A family with 3 kids has moved in two doors down from us, and the kids have started coming to church with me. They are all great kids, and have been a ray of sunshine in our lives. They just moved here from Arkansas, and they seem to be getting settled in. They befriended another kid who lives nearby, and she came with us this morning. So, I carried 4 kids, one a complete stranger, to church...LOL. It was hilarious.

I was looking at Memphis' basketball schedule for the upcoming season, and I noticed that we play Austin Peay in November. We have got to make that game; it will be fun. Coach Calipari spoke at the Vision Forum, and it was like Elvis had walked into the building. He got a standing ovation at 8:30 on a Saturday morning, and I suppose that would be difficult to do. Consecutive Elite 8 appearances, and a preseason #1 ranking, will do that. I had never heard him speak before, and he was really funny.

I ran into Nathan Wheeler tonight; it was great to see him. We took our youth groups to the same place, without knowing we'd each be there. That was funny. He seems to be doing really well. I think this may be his last semester of seminary, or maybe he has one more. He's real close, either way.

I am proud that even with all the hubub of Alex's birth, I was able to read two books this summer. The first was called, "Sleeping Where I Fall", an autobiography by Peter Coyote. There are scant few people with whom I would trade lives, and I am not sure he is quite one of them, but he has led one of the most interesting lives I have ever read about, nonetheless. Truly amazing.

The other book I read was not quite so fun. It is called "The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter", by Peter Singer and Jim Mason. Singer is my favorite contemporary philosopher, and a Utilitarian. In their book, they examine the ethics of factory farming and eating food from factory farms. I have believed for quite some time that if people really knew what happens in factory farming, there would be mass protests and a lot of changes would be made. Same goes for executions. People would be appalled, I think.

I bought another book recently, "Wisdom of Our Fathers", by Tim Russert. I am going to try to read it before school starts, which is August 28. I am excited about the upcoming semester. It should be a great one.

I hope everyone is doing well. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius