Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Yesterday was the third anniversary of the day that Michelle and I spoke on the phone for the first time. I remember that it was a Friday night, and that we talked into the wee hours of the morning. The funny thing is that I started working at Mt. Denson the next day. I was scheduled to take some of the kids from the youth group to a meeting in Nashville, and we were supposed to meet at the church at 8 AM. On a Saturday. Needless to say, I was about 45 minutes late, and by the time we had stopped for coffee, we made it to the meeting in time for the last 15 minutes or so...LOL. So, we went to lunch and called it a day.

That was a monumental time in my life, meeting the woman that would become my wife (and the mother of my child), and making a huge step in my spiritual journey. These three years have been incredible, indeed.

This past Saturday, Michelle and I went to Nashville. My sister hosted a Wii party, which I attended, and Michelle stormed Green Hills Mall with her friend Amy. I have great fun playing the Wii. The golf game was probably my favorite; It was just easy enough to be fun, and just difficult enough to be challenging. We played four holes, and I was at level par at that point. I bogied the first hole, trying to get the feel for the game. I birdied the 5-par second hole, which was a little disappointing since I had reached the green in two. Anyway, it was great.

It was great to see Jessi's friends, and to meet some new people as well. At one point, someone asked me who my favorite musicians are. I replied Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, The Eagles, and Fleetwood Mac (classic division); and The Killers, KT Tunstall, and Coldplay (current division). However, once I got home, I decided to investigate what music I am actually listening to the most these days.

By reviewing my iTunes "Recently Played" playlist, I find that I am listening to Green Day, U2, Five For Fighting, Bruce Hornsby, The Gabe Dixon Band, The Gin Blossoms, The Goo Goo Dolls, John Mayer, Nickelback, R.E.M., Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, and Warren Zevon, more than anything else. So, I guess it would be more accurate to say that this is where my musical tastes lie right now. In reality, it has been quite a while since I listened to much Pink Floyd (although I did watch my DVD of the making of Dark Side of the Moon again recently). On the way back from Nashville, I qued up Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance", but that was the first time I had listened to them in quite a while. Clapton and the Eagles are always in heavy rotation, and KT Tunstall and the Killers are there as well. During this investigation, I realized I have not listened to any Coldplay in quite a while. Although I did hear "Speed of Sound" on the radio one day that week, and enjoyed it. So, this is a more accurate representation of the music I am listening to these days.

In the past couple of years, I have really become interested in music again, after several years of ambivalence. For quite a while, there just wasn't anything being released that I was interested in. However, these days there is a ton of music that is getting my attention. Plus, iTunes makes it really easy to buy music at reasonable prices. I was initially reluctant to buy music digitally, but once I got on board, I found that for me, its pros outweigh its cons by far.

Speaking of John Mayer, he is playing Memphis in early February, and the opening act is Josh Rouse--a guy that I went to high school with. That's pretty cool. Josh has been working hard on his career for a long time, and he is finally getting some recognition. Good for him!

I hope everyone is doing well. Peace...

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Just don't let go of the Wii-mote :D

Chris Winn said...

Yes, that is an integral part of keeping people from getting hurt--or, in my case, refraining from putting holes in your ceiling...LOL

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius