Friday, January 26, 2007

I do not think I have ever felt so melancholy as I did Wednesday afternoon. I had spent the day at home, doing laundry and reading. And reading. And reading some more. By the time I needed to go to class (at 5:30 PM), I was fully aware that although I had spent the entire day reading, I was no where near finished with all the reading that I needed to do for the week. So, I was kinda sad, realizing the enormity of the work that lay ahead of me in seminary. However, my spirits were soon brightened. I got to class about 15 minutes early, so I found a seat and was just getting mentally prepared. When, in an instant, who walks in? The one and only Nathan Wheeler! Turns out he is in that class (Church History). So, he sat beside me and we reminisced about old times at Clarksville church. It was cool. So, we had a good lecture, although that class looks to be my most difficult one, by far. I spent all day yesterday reading for it, and still have some more to go before I start writing the paper that is due next week. In fact, we have a paper due EVERY week in that class. JOY!!

When Michelle got out of work yesterday, she needed to go to the Board of Education, which happens to be around the corner from my campus. So, we had arranged to meet for an early supper, which was nice. After we ate, we were driving down Union, and decided to stop at the Resource Center to see if Frank Ward was working. Indeed he was, so we stopped for a visit. It was great to see him again. Frank is the Director of Youth Ministry for the entire Denomination, and I have this crazy idea that some day I might work underneath him. The man is quality.

The seminary is offering a trip to Scotland right after the end of this semester. The purpose of the trip is to explore the Celtic history of Christianity. I immediately began to try to think of way that I could justify going, but I have yet to think of one. Michelle, of course, thinks I am insane for wanting to leave her for 12 days, 5 weeks before she is due to give birth. I suppose I agree that that is a little crazy. Or a lot crazy. Anyway, there will be other trips. Over the Christmas break, we had lunch with John Bogard, my childhood friend. John is an engineer for an energy company in Houston, but he has been transferred to England for two years. So, he invited us to visit him, and I think we have decided to go in early January next year. That will be a lot of fun.

At Jess' Wii party lat weekend, a funny thing happened. Someone noticed that my screen name is "Xanthos", which she recognized as being from Greek mythology. She then identified herself as a Latin teacher, which I thought was really cool. I told her that I know a little Greek, but almost no Latin, and that I have a lot of respect for Latin-speaking folk. At that point, a different woman asked me what my favorite story is. I was not quite sure what qualified as a "story", but I said that it would probably be Homer's Odyssey. She immediately stepped back and said, "Oh, I cannot know you. I cannot know you because you said that". I had no idea what to think at that point, so I just kind of chuckled and made my way to the other side of the room. Funny stuff.

The funniest story ever, though, is when Jess was in Atlanta in one of her costumes, and some random stranger asked her if she was part of the "ritual". When she said that she had no idea what that was, and that she was there for MoMoCon, HE got a weird look on his face, and ostensibly, figured out that whatever she was involved in must be weirder than his "ritual". LOL. That is the funniest story I have ever heard. Jess retold the story, and everyone got a big laugh.

I have no classes on Fridays, so I am at home doing more laundry. I also played guitar for about 30 minutes this morning, which was rewarding since I had not played at all the entire week. I am going to do some more reading, and I am hoping that I can write my entire paper this afternoon.

I hope everyone is doing well. Peace...

No comments:

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." --Confucius